Friday, January 25, 2008

Active Directory & Group Policies

After all my experience working in a corporate environment and working with software, I have never really had a chance to sit down and play with Active Directory. After about 30 minutes I already had a grasp on its concepts and uses. It, after all, is a pretty intuitive piece of software.

With a little bit of time I found a Microsoft document on pushing an install through Server 2003. Believe it or not, its actually pretty easy to do. I created a unique user group, a test user in that group and a group policy that pertains to that group. After a couple of hours of reading a playing around I was successful in pushing a Firefox install through Server 2003 to my user. It installed with almost no visible sign of the installation. I logged in as my test user and it was there, seamless and painless, Firefox was installed.

For more information on the process, read my Jan 25th build post.

No comments: