Monday, February 18, 2008

The Wix Toolset


Just as I was starting to run out of steam someone *cough* Dave *cough* showed me an OS tool known as the Wix Toolset. The Wix toolset is a set of tools that help a developer write .msi's using xml files. As of today, I havn't got very far with it because of a several things. Firstly I found out the hard way that the Wix toolset isn't compatible with Vista. This isn't a 1/2 hour mistake, this took me about 2-3 hours to discover just because of the 1/2 dozen packages you need to install just to use the toolset.

Once I made that discovery it was on to the next. I have an old XP laptop at my house and decided I could use it. After once again installing the couple hours of programs I was onto anther problem Turns out the Wix toolset doesn't give you very good steps to building it. I was stuck on a screen that read "Please set WIX env var". Perhaps I overlooked it but nowhere on the Wix page did it say I had to set any environment variables. So I set an environment variable to the Wix directory and it began to work (somewhat).

As if right now I'm struggling with an error message that seems to be telling me I need anther SDK. I've installed everything that the Wix build page has asked for but somehow I'm still requiring anther SDK. I've put up a screenshot of my error message in hopes that someone might be able to help me out with this.

No comments: