Saturday, March 22, 2008

Getting somewhere

Turns out my professor and I have had different ideas of where my project was going, I hope this road ends with some success. After much work over the last few days I finally have something to show for it. I've built a Wix script that works on the latest build of Firefox. This task wasn't too difficult but it was very time consuming. The debugging of my script took a long time as I was forgetting to copy airbag to the extensions folder. Once all that was done I was able to build my own .MSi from scratch.

There is TONS more work here such as integrating a license agreement etc, however I also need to get my packaging tool working. After brushing up my C# skills I created a tool that puts all this Wix stuff together with a nice GUI interface. Right now the script copies over the necessary files, creates some batch files and then compiles it all using the Wix toolset to create an .Msi.

Although I finally have a working product, there is still tons of work I have to do. Ideally I'd like to integrate Mkaply's CCK and other extensions so that network admins can create custom .msi's and push them over a network with extensions installed. I'd also like to do some more editing with the program so that it can copy over the necessary wix tools so that the end user doesn't need to have Wix installed to use my tool. All in all, I'm quite excited for this program and I think its going to be a success.

No comments: