Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My build struggle

As of this week I have left my position with a company known as The Tech Zone in order to see this project through. It is in good timing that I find out my project needs to be 2.0 compatible.

Wix scripts are a basic XML files that tell the .msi where to put each and every file for the install. The XML file tells the installer where to put files including setup files, customized files and registry entrys. To bring my current 1.5.0.4 script up to 2.0 might take me days or weeks to do. I have to figure out where every single file that Firefox installs goes and map them in my Wix script.

At the same time I have created a program that automates the build process of Firefox, and can even install add-ons. Since I am working on this project full time I will continue to update my blog and the wiki continually and I am aiming to have something impressive for build 0.8

No comments: