Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wix or Custom App

I've decieded that instead of bringing my 1.5.0.4 msi build to Firefox 2.0 I will instead write some code that will allow an end user to customize the way that Firefox is installed. Though I eventually wish to bring my code up to date with the current vesion of Firefox, it will be very time consuming to do and I'd rather do something more intesting.

Having a brief understanding of Wix I figured I could use the tool to customize the .msi install of Firefox; I was wrong. Though Wix offers the user tools such as install directory, license agreements and installation types, it really doesn't give me the power I am looking for. Ideally I'd like to give the user the power to change the home page and other features inside Firefox. To do that, I'm going to need to write a tool that can change those features then call Wix functions to build the .msi.

This is the direction I am planning on going, where I start and if I can finish are two questions I can't answer.

Dave

1 comment:

Naveen Hegde said...

Nvin Installer is a simple installer developed using WiX toolset. It is really useful if somebody don't want scratch their head to create MSI files.