Sunday, March 2, 2008

First Wix Build

Today I finally completed my first Wix build, and it really wasn't too hard. I searched the net for some wix Firefox scripts and found one for Firefox 1.5.0.4. I downloaded it, and ran it. The script, if placed in the proper directory will create a .msi file that should install Firefox. After trying the .msi file and waiting for a couple of minutes it crashed. I realized there were some build errors so I went back to take a look at them.

Whether the script has some bugs, or I had a bad version of Firefox 1.5.0.4, I'm not sure. There were some file discrepencies and after fixing those the new .msi file was built. This time the script worked and I was able to make a successful firefox install.

This is great news for me. I didn't expect to be able to get it to build at all. Now I have to figure out which direction I'd like to go. Either work on the script so it works with Firefox 2.0 or start writing a program to edit the script.

More soon!

Dave

No comments: