Monday, March 31, 2008

Extensions?


After finishing my last build I was confident that I would be able to add in extensions with little to no problems. Once again, I was wrong. Extensions are stored in the extensions folder of the Firefox directory. Since Wix isn't dynamic and can't simply grab folders and package them, I have to figure out a different way of doing this.

Any way I do this is going to be problematic. I have to decide which extensions my packager will support and then build that support in. I am going to start with Mkaply's CCK extension. In theory this is how I envision the packager to handle extensions.

When a user selects an extension the packager program will actually open up the Wix script and write the code in to the script to copy an extension into the .msi file. It will copy the extension right from the packager install directory and not the Firefox install directory. This is to avoid bugs or problems that might occur if a user hasn't installed the extension properly.

If this doesn't make sense, I have created a diagram to illustrate the process. This week I aim to have my packager be able to package up CCK and create some error reporting. Providing all goes well for build .9 I should be able to add more extensions in for my 1.0 build.

No comments: